By Jim Borgaard
There is no better place to be in May than Indianapolis. The weather is getting warmer, flowers are blooming and the sound of revving engines is in the air. As we rapidly approach summer flying season at LIFT, Indy event season is starting to heat up as well. May is jam packed full of events – from Indy 500 related to live music to various fairs – there’s a lot going on. We’ve taken the time to highlight some of the best events and happenings around Indy during the month of May.
Indy 500 Events:
- May 4 – 500 Festival Kickoff to May on Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis including the arrival of the Chevy Festival Cars, special guests and activities
- May 7 – OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon helps runners check a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway(IMS) track off their bucket list
- May 15 – Salesforce & JP Morgan Chase 500 Festival Kids’ Day is Indiana’s largest free outdoor festival for kids, with interactive educational displays in a carnival-like atmosphere
- May 21 – 500 Festival Breakfast at the Brickyard – enjoy a traditional Hoosier breakfast and hear from IMS and 500 Festival executives as well as racing legends
- May 26 – The American Legion 500 Festival Memorial Service at the Indiana War Memorial dedicated to the memory of all Hoosiers who sacrificed their lives in defense of the nation in all wars and conflicts
- May 27 – Carb Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway – including Indy 500 Practice and Pit Stop Challenge and rock’s ultimate supergroup Kings of Chaos and Rick Springfield in concert
- May 28 – AES 500 Festival Parade – make sure to keep your eye out when tickets go on sale for the 5oo Festival Parade in downtown Indianapolis with the theme Back to Traditions. Racing Forward. with a start time of 11:45 a.m.
- May 29 – See the 106th Running of the Indy 500. More details here
- Catch an Indianapolis Indians game! Full schedule here
- Cheer on the Indiana Fever at one of their games. Full schedule here
- May 4 – Leon Bridges – The Boundless Tour at Old National Centre
- May 5 – Choose Between seeing Kenny Chesney (Ruoff Music Center) or Journey and Toto (Gainbridge Fieldhouse) live
- May 12 – New Kids On The Block, Salt N Pepa, Rick Astley and En Vogue at Gainbridge Fieldhouse or Tech N9ne at Old National Centre
- May 21 – Country legends Miranda Lambert & Little Big Town team up to put on a show at the Ruoff Music Center
- May 24 – Ray LaMontagne: THE MONOVISION Tour at Old National Centre
- May 28 – AJR concert at Ruoff Music Center
Festivals and Markets:
- May 4 – The Indy Summer Farmers Market provides some of Indiana’s best local farmers, dairy, and meat suppliers all in one place! (John H. Boner Community Center)
- May 14 & 15 – Kick off summer festival season at the Broad Ripple Art Fair featuring Arts & Crafts from some of the nations best artisans. (Event Website)
- May 21 – Live Music and Craft Beer combine at Rock the Junction Craft Beer & Music Festival (Westfield, IN)
This list just scratches the surface of all the exciting things going on in the Crossroads of America. For more information and things to do go to https://www.visitindy.com/. Ready to Fly with LIFT, click here to sign up for one of our upcoming Discovery Sessions!